We’re a nonprofit newsroom of journalists who dig deep into local issues, help Oakland residents get the information they need, and ensure local voices are heard.
- Want to get the word out about a local event? Add it for free to our events calendar!
- Have a question about your membership? Email email@example.com; we’re happy to help.
- Want to write for us? Share your story idea here.
- Interested in advertising with us? Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Looking for information about how to license one of our photos? Scroll down to the very bottom of this page.
- Want to share a message with our reporters? Please get in touch through the form below. We’re a small team; while we read every message we get, we’re currently unable to respond every time. You can also send a confidential email to our editors directly at email@example.com.
Photo licensing FAQ
We receive frequent requests from other publishers, organizations, and individuals to reuse our photos. Here are answers to some frequently asked questions, and instructions:
Do I need permission to use The Oaklandside’s images?
Yes. The Oaklandside’s images and historical archive images require copyright permission.
Personal use is not re-publication in any media format. When used, images must be correctly credited. Fees vary.
Only staff material from Cityside publications is potentially available for republication. If you are interested in the use of an image credited to anyone other our staff (see above), you will need to seek permission directly from the accredited photographer.
Are Oaklandside photos copyrighted?
Yes, The Oaklandside’s photos are copyrighted and cannot be distributed, reproduced, displayed, or broadcasted without prior written permission and a copyright license from Cityside.
How do I make a request?
Contact our team by completing this form to request a photo license to reuse images and graphics. (We reserve the right, at our discretion, to deny requests for photo licensing.)